When searching for all-natural supplements to aid in your pet’s wellness, you may have come across CBD products. While mainly marketed to us human consumers, there are various CBD products out there specifically for pets. However, before giving your pet CBD, you may have some questions: what the right dosage is, what forms of CBD are best for pets, and what benefits CBD can provide your pets. So, whether you’ve got an adorable dog or a super cute cat at home, we’re here to help break down some of the most frequently asked questions about pet CBD.
What is CBD?
First things first, let’s define CBD. CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is a cannabinoid compound derived from hemp plants, typically in oil form. While CBD comes from cannabis plants, it does not contain THC, the psychoactive chemical that produces a mental “high” in those who use it. So while CBD supplements can contain trace amounts of THC, don’t be worried: as per federal law, CBD products can have no more than 0.3% THC. So while it might be an excellent premise for a Seth Rogen movie, your furry friend won’t take CBD products!
CBD works by connecting to cannabinoid receptors in your pet’s nervous system. There are two types of cannabinoid receptors: C1, which are primarily located in the brain and control bodily functions like mood, digestion, movement, and memory; and C2, which act as a part of the immune system regulating pain and inflammation.
By connecting with these receptors, CBD can help your pet in a variety of ways, including:
- Stress Management – Just like we can get overwhelmed, so can our pets. When our furry friends get stressed, it can cause various issues, including behavioral issues, involuntary stomach upset, and appetite changes. CBD can help with your pet’s stress, providing a calming effect on the mind and the body.
- Supporting Healthy Joints – Even if they spend most of their time indoors, our cats and dogs are always on the go. As they run around the living room darting after toys, or sometimes, chasing their tails, they’re bound to strain their joints. CBD can help manage joint pain and keep your pet feeling ready to zoom around the house at all times.
- Supporting a Healthy Digestive Tract – If your pet sometimes struggles at mealtime, CBD can help relax the stomach lining and aid in your pet’s digestion, avoiding unwelcome tummy upset.
Factors to Consider with Pet CBD
Suss Out the Source
It’s important to know where the CBD supplements you give to your cats and dogs come from, so make sure that any product you choose is sourced from organic hemp plants raised free of pesticides and chemicals. You’ll also want to know what kind of CBD oil that’s being used in the products you chose: full-spectrum oil is typically best, as it ensures your pet will get the full range of benefits from CBD. Finally, you’ll also want to check that any CBD supplement you’re considering has been independently lab tested – you don’t want to give your pet anything that hasn’t been certified safe!
Like any supplement, finding the correct dosage is key to success. CBD doses for cats and dogs are determined by weight and metabolism. As a rule of thumb, most brands recommend you give your pet 2mg of CBD per ten pounds of body weight a day to start. If your pet doesn’t seem to respond to the lowest dose, you may need to incrementally increase how much you give them until you find the exact milligram amount. It’s also important to watch out for any potential side effects if your pet doesn’t take to CBD well, including nausea or lethargy. As with any supplement, check with your veterinarian before giving your pet CBD.
Forms of CBD
There are many different types of CBD products to choose from when searching for the perfect one for your pet:
- CBD Tinctures: A pure oil form of CBD, tinctures come in a dropper bottle that makes it easy to drip into your pet’s mouth.
- Edibles: CBD edibles are made by infusing CBD oil into kitty and puppy treats and baking them.
- Topicals: CBD topicals typically come in cream form and can be great to help alleviate external inflammation on your pet’s skin.
Whatever form of CBD you give your furry friend, they’re likely to experience a wonderful sense of physical and mental calm. It’s essential to check with your vet and find products that include ingredients free of harsh chemicals. CBD supplements can be a great addition to your dog or cat’s daily routine. What CBD products do you think your furry friend will like?